Friday, February 2, 2018

Approval Addiction

Hello, my name is Angey. I am a recovering approval addict. A very recent recovering approval addict.

What is an approval addict? Someone who lives for the praise and approval of other people. Someone who needs to be liked by everyone. Someone who fears what others may or may not say. Someone who cannot fail. Me. Or at least what I was and what I am trying to no longer be.

I heard a sermon from Red Rocks Church (link at the bottom to listen). It pierced my heart. I was striving to win the approval of others. I wanted people to notice me, applaud me, and I’m ashamed to admit, I wanted them to praise me. Look at what I did. Look at what I’m doing. See how smart I am? I wanted people to see that my life was just as great as theirs! Don’t misunderstand me, my life is wonderful and amazing and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. BUT, I wanted others to see it. So much pride, so much arrogance and so much insecurity! Over the last few years, I’ve let approval addiction rob me of so much joy - it hurts to look back and see how much I hurt myself by choosing to live to please others.

The purpose of this post is not to get everyone to look at me.  I pray that those that do choose to read it will take the time to listen to the sermon (35 minutes) and that they will be blessed and set free!  The only approval I need – is from God.  He is the author of my life and director of my path! He is who I am choosing to live for.

No comments:

Post a Comment