Monday, February 13, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel cookies

Earlier this week I found a bag of vanilla wafers in our pantry.  I decided I was going to try making homemade Chocolate covered Peanut Butter Caramel Cookies similar to a Peanut Butter Twix bar.  I was less than thrilled with the results, but at least I learned what doesn't work :)  They taste yummy, they are just hard as a rock and impossible to get out of the cupcake paper liner.   Here's how I made them.

This is what I started with: 10 individually wrap caramals, peanut butter, semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla wafers.

I filled the bottom of the cupcake papers with chocolate chips.

I spread the peanut butter on the vanilla wafer and then put it on top of the layer of chocolate chips.

Then I placed one unwrapped caramel piece on top of the wafer with peanut butter.

I put them in the oven at 200* for about 5 minutes.  Just long enough to melt.

This is what they looked like after I pulled them out of the oven.

I layered another handful of chocolate chips on top.  And put them back in the oven.  Again for about 5 minutes - just long enough for the chocolate to melt.

This is the final 'cookie'.

It's extremely delicious, just a pain to eat :)  Next time I'll have to use milk chocolate instead of semi-sweet and I think instead of melting them in the oven all put together, I may melt the chocolate first in the bottom.  Let it harden, then add the cookie and the peanut butter.  Then melt the caramel and pour it over the peanut butter and cookie.  Let that harden.  And lastly melt the last bit of chocolate and pour over the top and then let it harden :)  Hopefully then, the caramel won't be rock hard and maybe then it won't all stick to the liner! :)

Feel free to comment with any ideas that you may have to make it better too!


1 comment: