Monday, August 28, 2017

In Home Washer & Dryer


Guys!  I have a washer and dryer in my house!  Finally after owning this house for over a year (I can't believe it's been that long already!), I have a properly functioning washer and dryer!  Last summer, I bought a used wash machine, but after it was delivered, we discovered that we didn't have the correct connections or a drain.  We rigged it up so that it worked for about a month.  The picture below shows how the washer drained into our yard, and we didn't have a dryer (no vent) so I had to line dry clothes or take them to the laundromat.

The seams in the PVC pipe used inside to 'drain' the water ended up breaking and water went everywhere in our utility room!  In June, after months of weekly trips to the laundromat, Hubby graciously agreed to buy me a brand new washer/dryer unit and to hire a plumber to come correctly install the washer and fix other plumbing issues that we had.


So now we had the washer hooked up and running, however we still did not have a vent for the dryer.  We have a cinderblock house and I was not about to bust out a window to vent through.  I looked on Youtube and decided I could tackle the project of drilling the hole myself.  I bought a new hammer drill for the tasks and everything!


Sadly, the wall won!  I could not drill through.  Thankfully, my father-in-law is a licensed contractor and he and my mother-in-law were going to be in town visiting.  I asked if he would be willing to tackle the project and he graciously agreed!



After purchasing a chisel and hammering away - we discovered the block has abnormal webbing (of course) and the spot I started drilling in was solid concrete.  BUT, between FIL and MIL and me on the inside - the dryer is now properly vented to the outside through the block wall!!  This past Sunday I celebrated - by doing laundry - while still in my pjs!

No comments:

Post a Comment